2020 IFORS Conference: abstract submissions now open until 31st January 2020
The Organizing and Program Committees for IFORS 2020 welcomes all operations researchers to attend the 22nd Conference of the International
Federation of Operational Research Societies (IFORS).
Dates: June 21-26 (Sun-Fri), 2020
Location: Seoul, Korea
Abstract submission closes: 17th January ***extended to 31st January*** 2020
Submit an abstract: https://www.euro-online.org/conf/ifors2020/
There has been an overwhelmingly positive response to the IFORS 2020 conference call, with more abstracts already submitted than was initially planned for. However, many in the community have requested more time to submit abstracts, and we have been able to expand the conference capacity. Thus we are pleased to announce a short extension to the abstract submission deadline, and call for all operations researchers interested in attending the event to submit your abstracts now.
General information about the event follows.
The IFORS 2020 conference will highlight global developments in operations research and show how the tools of operations research are expanding their impact on society, health, science and industry. IFORS conferences, held only once every three years, provide a platform for experts from around the world to showcase the diverse potential of state-of-the-art operations research techniques and technologies. IFORS 2020 offers a unique opportunity to network with operations research analysts, industrial users of operations research, and academic and industry experts from all parts of the globe.
This is the first IFORS conference to be held in Asia since the 15th conference in China 20 years ago. It is thus an exciting opportunity to bring together operations researchers from the field in Asia, where it has experienced vigorous and rapid growth, with colleagues from all regions of the world.
The conference includes a Wednesday-afternoon social event where you can choose among a variety of tours, such as the Demilitarized Zone tour, where you can witness the history of Korea’s division, the Industrial Tour to Korea’s leading ICT companies, as well as other programs that will explore K-POP and Hallyu, K-Beauty and K-Culture, and show you the most historic buildings and markets in the city.
The timing of the meeting in late June assures that it will be warm and sunny.
Four plenary speakers headline the scientific program:
- Gang Yu, who is co-founder and CEO of 111, Inc and previously head of world-wide supply chain for Amazon, VP for worldwide procurement for Dell, Inc and CEO of Yihaodian, a leading ecommerce company in China;
- Robin Keller, Professor at UC Irvine and former editor-in-chief of the Journal Decision Analysis, her research spans the areas of multiple attribute decision making, fairness, perceived risk, and planning protections against terrorism, environmental, health, and safety risks;
- Luk Van Wassenhove, Professor at INSEAD whose research focuses on business models and the UN Sustainable Development Goals, he co-edited several special issues on humanitarian operations for leading international journals; and
- Maria Conceição Andrade Silva, Professor at Católica Porto Business School, Portugal, who is a world expert in Data Envelopment Analysis, and in the field of efficiency and productivity measurement, having applied it in many contexts, including bank branches, schools, retail outlets, water companies, general practice units, hospitals and courts.
Highlighting the achievement of Korean industry, there will be the chance to hear from the executive level of leading Korean companies, including from Dr. WP Hong, who is currently President and CEO of Samsung SDS, the largest IT solutions and services provider in South Korea.
There will also be a stimulating line-up of Keynote Speakers: experts giving an extended exposition of an evolving technical field or emerging domain. These include the following, with more Keynote Speakers to be announced in the coming weeks:
- Erin Baker, Professor at University of Massachusetts, Amherst, USA, who is expert in decision making under uncertainty applied to sustainable energy systems engineering, environmental impacts, and policy;
- Regina Berretta, Professor at the University of Newcastle, Australia, an expert in metaheuristics, bioinformatics and optimization for food supply chains;
- Martin Bichler, Professor at TU Munich, an expert on market design, with a focus on optimization, incentives, and economic behavior, and on algorithmic game theory and computational social choice;
- Shmuel Oren, Professor at UC Berkeley, USA, whose expertise is focused on nonlinear optimization, mechanism design, energy systems and on the design and analysis of electricity markets;
- Karen Smilowitz, Professor at Northwestern University, USA, an expert in transport and logistics in both for-profit and non-profit settings, with emerging interests in combatting illicit supply chains;
- Joseph Wu, Professor at the University of Hong-Kong, an expert on infectious disease control and prevention using mathematical and statistical modelling, and on the translation of results into public health policies;
- Prashant Yadav, previously a Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Strategy Leader, now a Visiting Fellow at Harvard University, and an expert on healthcare supply chains and supply chains with social benefit;
- Wotao Yin, Head of the Decision Intelligence Lab at Alibaba's DAMO Academy, which focuses on research in machine learning and optimization for Operations Management practice; and
- Zelda Zabinsky, Professor at the University of Washington, USA, whose work on algorithms for solving problems with multimodal objective functions in high dimension has been applied broadly in engineering and systems design, most recently in communication scheduling of nano-satellites.
Several special issues of journals will be associated with the meeting. So far, special issues
- ITOR, “OR in Healthcare”
- ANOR, “Operations Research for Neuroscience” and
- Journal on Dynamics and Games, “Games in economics, finance, human resource management, and neuroscience”
have been announced.
IFORS, and the IFORS Conference Organizing Committee and Program Committee are looking forward to greeting you in Seoul in 2020!